~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Making tunnels

I need to create a tunnel to park a train in. From what I've read, one of the best techniques is to use a length of 12" i.d. plastic culvert. Trouble is the culvert evidently only comes in 20' lengths, at around $7.00 a running foot. I could get by with 6', since I will probably cut the culvert in half (lengthwise). Anyone know of a source for short lengths of culvert, or would one or two of you want to split the cost of a culvert?



Scott Gould

4 comments:

Station Master said...

Hi Scott, I can't help you out with the culvert, but it is good to see you posting on the blog. Good luck on your project! John

sgould said...

Thanks, John.

Ray Trainman said...

Scott,

If you can't get someone to go with you on splitting the cost, other lower cost options (assuming your 'car storage' will be covered) are to:
1) construct it out of chimney liners (Ernie has used this technique)
2) build one out of Pressure Treated wood.

Good Luck!

sgould said...

Would that be a fired clay cylinder? Interesting thought. I need a lightweight covering I can remove to extract stuck trains.