~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Thursday, December 18, 2008

Santa's High Wire Short Line

Here's a short video (~20 seconds) of a short Holiday layout at SCGRR.

The 30lb monofilament serves two purposes. One is for looks as that trolly, if real, would run off a catenary wire. Secondly and more important, it serves as Santa's safety line should he stray from the line. It's about 11' to the ground and 43" to the deck surface.

I have also moved the right bumper back a bit to keep it from just bumping into it as it comes to a stop.

It just keeps going back and forth untill you Pull The Plug!

Next year I hope to add about 20' more of straight tack so it will run the entire length of the deck. But for now, "Small Budget, Small Results"!

4 comments:

Station Master said...

Very nice! I like Trolleys to begin with and the wire is a great effect plus the added safety feature was a clever idea.

The Deere's said...

Back and forth- reversing tracks are great! They help fill in those empty spots that need some action (like your deck rail). You will also be able to run a little something all winter. I have one on the outside of my workshop that I would like to extend out into the upper loop, just so that it ties into the rest of the railroad.
Ed L

Ray Trainman said...

Ed,

Nice set up. Having seen how high your deck is in person, your 'safety' precautions appear to be pretty original to me!

BTW, do you have G scale heaters in the trolley so the passengers can stay warm throughout the winter months?

SCGRR said...

No Ray, no heaters.
By the looks of the weather this idea was a "Bad Omen". What you saw was the first and maybe last time this winter that line will run. The Trolley is cozily tucked in for the duration of the snow!
PS
I do not have such a penchant for this white stuff as I gather the rest of you do.

To add insult to injury I blew a hydraulic hose on my 2004 plow set-up on my pick-up truck Friday night.