~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Making windows

I have been working on a little industrial building (well nothing is small in 1:20 scale) Purchasing windows is difficult and expensive, so I make my own. I have several ways to make windows. the easiest is just to paste sticks to a peice of plywood and paint it to look like a window with black painted plywood "glass".


This is the next fancier system which is to make a "grill" like window so light and air can pass through.


I start with some 1/4" thick strips with square ends and cut grooves in them half way through with the tablesaw. Each groove corrosponds to a cross peice in the finished window.




Next I slice off 1/4" strips for the window frame and 1/8" strips for the grill parts (mullions?)


The pieces are assembled like Lincoln Logs with a dab of glue. finally I add trim around the window (see top photo) and glue it into an opening cut in the wall of the building.
These are fairly easy to make though they do take time. The hardest part is figuring out where to cut the grooves to get the window the right size with the right number of panes. they are a bit course looking but not bad for stand off viewing.




8 comments:

The Deere's said...

Thanks Eric, I think I will try making some too.

Mrdeere

Eric in Phippsburg said...

Cool! they are fun and look pretty good!

SCGRR said...

Yeah,Thanks Eric,
I think I'll try some like that. The finished item looks great.

SCGRR said...

This looks like a candidate for the "Modeling Tips" section!

Station Master said...

Excellent article Eric! I am a man without a table saw but I vicariously identify. Only wishing I had your skill. The only help that I could offer is possibly to design your windows/doors and shutters on the computer, then you can easily change their shape and print out full size templates that let you see exactly what it will look like. You can tape them in place on a full size model which is better than a drawing.

Eric in Phippsburg said...

The computer is the way to go...I actually made these windows to fit a cupola that I had already started...I'll post a photo...so I just measured and made the windows to fit...well almost fit.

Ray Trainman said...

So Eric, what do you think of Ed's idea for you to pull together a brief segment on Modeling Tips for the web site? I think it would be a great addition!

Ray

Mike said...

Eric, I ditto the Modeling Tips idea. We can all gain!