~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Monday, October 4, 2010

weed control

I am in the process of starting my garden railroad and have a spot leveled with bare soil at this time. It will be another year before I begin laying some track, but in the meantime I want to cover the ground with what ever material I will end up using under a thick layer of mulch. I'm looking for recommendations and personal experiences with different products that you folks may have used and have had good luck with. I know Carl has used Typar with good success over a period of 8 years or so. I want to make sure I use a product that is durable and allows enough moisture to penetrate to supply the plantings. Can you please share your experiences?

Thanks.

1 comment:

John said...

I honestly do not have personal experience with this. I just use mulch in the 'Garden area'. My house is about 8 years old and we are 2nd owners. The contractor used a black plastic under the mulch along the front with plantings. I have never had any weeds in that area. As far as track areas go, the stone dust, chicken grit loving guys seem to rule.