~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Transformer question

I have an ART 5450 power supply hooked to an ART 5401-10 controller that has stopped working.  It now pops fuses instead.  My question is how can I test to see if the power supply is OK?  It produces 16v DC output,  Can I wire it directly to a piece of test track and touch a small engine to it?  I would think that I could but it would run at full speed.  I do not want to damage my engine. If the power supply is still good maybe I can find another controller that works. 
(Note: I went to ACE Hardware's new store in Falmouth to buy fuses. Very nice new store and friendly people.  I bought a couple of bird feeders and mentioned they were for my garden railroad.  One of the men was very interested in trains and asked if I had been at the Mall last year and if we have open houses.  So, I am sending him the link to our Web site and hope he can catch one of our events some time.)  

Follow-Up:   I hooked the power supply (it's only 3.5 amps) directly to the track and it was perfect for a couple of small novelty motors.  They seemed to run fine.  take a look  https://picasaweb.google.com/jjackso/20110811#5639649839743566546

1 comment:

John said...

Thanks Scott ~ Power supply works fine! So all the controller does is cut down the voltage (and switches polarity but a toggle switch does that). I wonder why they are so expensive? I will have to check around.