~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Friday, February 24, 2012

What is the Difference?

You will have to forgive me because I may not be stating the question correctly, but I think it was " What is the difference between 2 foot and G scale?  That does not sound quite right but I will try to answer anyway.

There is a club called Maine Narrow Gauge.  They model Maine 2 foot Railroads and I believe the scale is called On30.  Which is O scale trains on HO track.  O scale is 1:48 and HO is 1:87.

G scale I usually think of as 1:24.  But there are several other scales all called G scale.   They range from 1:20.3     1:22.5    1:24    1:29   and   possibly 1:32.   As far as I know the track is all 1.77 inches between the rails or more commonly called 45mm.    (I don't usually think in millimeters).

I just pasted this in from the web.  It is a good breakdown by manufacture.
  • Accucraft has five scales - Fn3 is 1:20.3, Gauge 1 is 1:32, their ½" scale is 1:24. They also build 1:29 scale North American models in live steam and electric under the AML brand, as well as British live steam and electric models in 1:19th scale [also called 16mm] and Isle of Man live steam and electric models in 1:20.3 scale - the Isle of Man uses three foot gauge track, the same width as the dominant US Colorado narrow gauge.
  • Aristo-Craft is 1:29, “Classic” series is 1:24
  • Aster is 1:32, 1:30 for Japanese prototypes and 1:22.5 for European and Japanese narrow gauge.
  • Bachmann's "Big Haulers" series is to 1:22.5, while their "Spectrum" Series is to 1:20.3 scale
  • Hartland Locomotive Works products are engineered to fit with 1:24 scale Narrow Gauge equipment and 1:29 Standard Gauge equipment.
  • LGB is 1:22.5
  • Märklin "MAXI" is 1:32
  • MTH Rail-King is 1:32
  • Piko is 1:27-1:29
  • USA Trains “Ultimate” Series is 1:29, “American” Series is 1:24

Standard track in the United States is 4ft 8.5 inches between the rails. (Don't send me the Roman Chariot story)  Narrow Gauge is anything less than that and I believe ranges from 3ft 6inches to 2 ft.

This might be a WAG.  But I think if you model standard gauge equipment on 44mm track that is called Gauge One or Gauge 1.  I found a club in England and Whales  that uses track 1.75 inches between the rails and they call that Gauge 1.    But, I will leave it all open to discussion.

From Scott -   To build a narrow gauge layout in which 45 mm track is intended to represent a span of two feet between the rails, the scale of the trains would be 7/8” inches to the foot.  That’s just short of doll house size.  Looks great in the garden, but there are very few parts available.


No comments: