~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Thursday, January 3, 2013

Waterfalls

Waterfall - That is the word of the day, especially at the Mall.  In anticipation of wanting to do something like this I turned to Youtube to see what I could find.  I know the problem with real water on model railroad is that you cannot scale water and it sometimes does not look right.  But it does have a dramatic effect and I have seen some excellent HO models using Lifelike products that represent water very well.  I have the idea that combining  some of the techniques of modeling water  (like the picture above) with the addition of real water added on top of them would result in the perfect powerful looking operating model.   Here is very short video showing something along that idea.  Note there is actually a small amount of real water flowing over a clear framework.  Click here:

As you can see in this video the 'Garden style' waterfall looks good but is heavy and takes a lot of rocks.  We can't build another granite colossal like Fryburg but I am sure there is workable compromise out there to be discovered. 

2 comments:

Rich Young said...

John,

Currently, I am trying to 'engineer' a waterfall for the Portland Flower show.

I had a pond last year and this year we are working on a pond and a stream!!

Stay tuned

Rich

John said...

That is awesome! That is great.
Good luck and please let us know how you are doing.