~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Sunday, May 19, 2013

Operating question from Paul

   I had a problem this weekend with my locomotive coming to a stop near one of my turnouts. When I did some trouble shooting, I found some melted wires under the turnouts (USA Trains # 6) that connect the common rails (jumpers from left to left and right to right. I also later found a melted wire in one of the frogs. Everything ran fine last year. This year, I converted my couplers to Kadee and left the metal hanging part attached which is used when running it over magnetic uncoupling pads (which I don't intend to use anyway). I'm wondering if this metal uncoupling lever could have come in contact with a frog and created the short. Do you know if anyone has had this problem? I called Charles Ro yesterday for some technical assistance, but their service tech had left for the day. I'll try them again tomorrow (Monday).

I noticed that Eric had Kadee couplers, but he had cut the uncoupling lever off (which is something that I thought about doing as well).

What do you think?

Reply from Scott:  I’ve used Kadee couplers for years without any problems, but I suppose they could create a short if there were a continuous current from one side of a truck through the other through the coupler.  You might ask Kadee if the problem has ever been reported to them.


No comments: