~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Monday, February 17, 2014

Portland Flower Show ~ by Rich Young

Follow the story of Rich Young as he transforms his black & white sketch into a full color bloom of flowers, bridges, water, tunnels and trains!   Rich promises to send us photos and updates as he works on preparing his entry into this years Portland Flower Show.  Here is his story, told directly to us in his own words:

   John, 

The Portland Flower Show is in a few weeks.

Attached is the layout that I will be using.

I will be using 4 pallets of 8x8x16 cinder blocks, 2 pallets of 4"solid blocks, 2 pallets of irregular blue stone and 10 bags of 75# 2" Mexican Pebble Stone.

The concrete blocks will be used to create the header pond and the lower pond. The 8" blocks will also be used to lay the track on. 2 separate lines. a 10' circle and a folded dogbone. The folded dogbone will go through a tunnel, with water above it and then the track will go over a bridge. The 10 'circle will go around the lower pond and over 1 bridge.

Lots of plants. I am trying to keep them all on the smaller size. Some are dwarfs others just don't grow large. Falsecypress, Maples, Azaleas, Witchhazel, Junipers, Boxwoods. I've always liked the weeping look, but Michelle doesn't. So, I am going to have a Weeping Alaskan Cedar.

I am not a landscape architect, nor am I a Master Gardener. I like my G Scale Trains, Michelle and I get to hang out together in the garden and we both love to garden.

The concrete product is loaned for the weekend. I started forcing some of the plants a few weeks ago and will get some color by purchasing some annuals. And the stone will be used for a new walk path going up to the front of the house. I am not allowed to put trains in this new planting area. Booooooo, I wonder if I can hide a point to point in there for the Eggliners?!? and some smaller trains. We will see come the spring!!

I will take a ton of pictures throughout the process, only if you guys want.

Last year, I placed Second in the Peoples Choice Award and my layout was the opening shot on all 3 local News Stations. Not bad for someone that knows nothing about what he is doing!

And this year, I am looking forward to participating, as the winter has been looooong!!

1 comment:

psmithu18b said...

Yeah Rich! You did a great job last year. I won't be able to see the show this year as I have retired to the South, so please post some pictures of your progress as you build this display!

Paul S.