~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Friday, June 20, 2014

Trestles

This all started when I tried to figure out how many trestle bents we might want to build.  I better stop because the number keeps going up.  I came out to 28 in total.  That is a lot more than I first thought, but I keep moving them closer together.     I do know they need to be 15 inches high.  One of my basis beliefs in volunteer work is "who ever builds it should design it".    That is still true!  Last year was a good example. Barry built a beautiful bridge which he gave to the Club.  He did a GREAT job.  He chose the style, the color, the material. everything. All we said was we needed one 8 feet long and 15 inches high.

So who ever builds the trestles will design them the way they want.   Only because I like to draw pictures I made up a basis picture of one that might work.   They can also be connected together in pairs like Ralph did a few years ago.  If we did that I would still keep 6 as singles which help to fit around the tight areas better.

This is just food for thought.  Carl and the BOD will figure out all the planning.  We will have our Annual Meeting pretty soon and may decide then.   In the meantime be thinking about it.  Here are some pictures that may help.






2 comments:

Terry N said...

these are called bents. the completed structure is a trestle. I have a jig to build bents 15" high. I will bring it to the July meeting.
John, you impress me. I want to be like you when I grow up.

John said...

Terry, Thank you, you are funny. I missed your comment and just saw it today. The update is that Ernie just contacted Carl and volunteered to build them! A big Thank you! That will be very much appreciated.