~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Monday, June 5, 2017

Winterization Project on the Bagley Mountain Railroad -** Nursery Info added on 6/6/17**

Paul Smith sent in this information about protecting the live trees on his layout. His notes and photos speak for themselves.

The plants came from Iseli Nursery, http://www.iselinursery.com/  A local nursery special ordered the plant from them

Last year (fall of 2015) I put a burlap “shield” on the northwest side of my Jeans Dilly trees to protect them from the prevailing winter winds. That didn’t seem to help as I had those brown limbs on the trees the following spring. This photo was taken October 2015.

October 2015 Barrier
Last winter, I came home from Florida in the spring and inspected my plantings in the railway to see how they did. It was a low snow year, so there wasn’t much shelter from the winter weather. My south facing hillside which my tunnel runs through is covered with Jeans Dilly tress with a couple Pixie Dust interspersed. I found that I had some browning of the Jeans Dilly trees, but the Pixie Dust trees did fine. I didn’t know if it was the lack of snow that contributed to the dead limbs or sun exposure as the sun reflected off the low volume of snow and then hit the trees. So, last fall I set up a burlap “screen” on the south side of that hill to shield the trees from direct exposure to the sun. Of course we also had a much larger amount of snow this past winter. However, upon my arrival back home a couple weeks ago, I found all of those trees in good shape. Here is a photo of the shield that I made using a metal frame with burlap attached to it using clothespins.

 
Winter 2016 Barrier

No comments: