~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Thursday, December 11, 2008

Huge Christmas Model Train Display

I remember when I was a youngster and went to the Jordan Marsh Department Store at Christmas time to see their magnificent electric train display. This was the main store located in Boston. You got to go up in an elevator to the 5th floor. It was the kind that someone operated and had the gate type door that they pulled back to open and the operator would announce what was on that floor. “Santa Claus, Toys and Trains” is all I heard. They had what seem to me the biggest possible train layout in the world! It was mostly Lionel which was the most popular trains of the day. I also remember Marx and American Flyer. It was a great time to be a kid! Other store fronts would put trains in the window and they would always attract a crowd. Of course there is no video of those old time displays, but I found one modern day clip that reminds me some of those great store displays of the past. Of course it pales in comparison to a young boy’s memory. But it does give you a little idea of what they were like. This video has a lot of new action gadgets plus a ’moving highway’ which was something I had not seen before. If you enjoy lots of detailed animation look at the ‘more from ppiker’ the author of this video. He has a whole collection of videos that you can see many more details. To watch the video, please click here.

2 comments:

Ray Trainman said...

John,

Nice video! Are you aware that there is a G scale display set up for the holidays in Boston's South Station? I haven't seen it yet, but I hear that it's quite good...

Anonymous said...

No, but I would be interested in hearing more about that. I am only thinking out loud but a round trip on the Downeaster even a possibility?
Dream on she said.