~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Thursday, December 18, 2008

More live steam action from Phippsburg...


Hello again,


I thought I would include another photo of my SR&RL #24 and a video in which it is featured:


The Loco is 14 years old from England made by Roundhouse. A "new and improved" version is available still. Mine is a pretty good representation of SR&RL #24, rivet counters will have to do some work though. I do not know what the new version is like, but I think they have better details than my loco has. She is radio controlled...trottle and johnson bar (forward/reverse) each have a servo control. The radio is a bit touchy as the train gets a little ways off, the servos twitch which can stop or otherwise distrurb a nice smooth run -- I just switch off the transmitter and let it go.
Steam is cool especially on days when the steam shows up well (cool humid days) The vapor can hang around for a bit and really looks good. they have a built in natural sound system, in the video you can hear the exhast chuffs and the burner whine (sort of sounds like a turbo-generator. ) The power and handling feels real too!
Some of my other engines (including my battery powered engines) are manual control. This is acutally quite fun. You follow the engine and keep track of its progress. Usually I do not have to change much...my track is pretty level.
I do not have track power. no messing with wires, dirty rails or bad connections.


4 comments:

Station Master said...

I did enjoy the ride. That was a great video! I have to admit that is the most realistic effect that you can have. Thanks Eric.

The Deere's said...

Live steam is great! Your buildings and track side accessories I find to be just as interesting. Thanks for sharing pictures and videos.

Ed

Ray Trainman said...

Eric, I agree with all of the comments above! I can't wait to see your layout in person - hopefully in the not too distant future...

How late into the year do you plan on running your live steam engine?

Eric in Phippsburg said...

In theory if I plow off the snow, I can run...

...In reality it is pretty hard to get the snow off and clear the switches. I ran for the last time successfully after the first little snow, tried one more time during the second cold dry snow of a few inches. the ice on the wheels makes it hard to work in snowy condititons.