~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Thursday, January 1, 2009

Covered Bridge Roof Framing

I had some time today to work on my covered bridge some more. I ripped up some strips of pine and cut some rafters. I made up a pattern and cut about 40 rafters. They are notched to fit over the frame of the truss. Next I made up a simple jig so I could glue up roof "A" frames with a notch for a ridge pole. when the glue dried enough, I notched two so they would fit over the cross timber at the ends of the bridge. I then used some scrap and clothspin-clamps to hold up these first two "A" frames at the end of the bridge. I inserted the ridge pole and erected the rest of the rafter "A"frames.

above are the rafters in place. Every thing is glued using TiteBond III. very few nails are used.

Here are the rafter "A"frames. the short "collar- tie" at the top holds them together and supports the ridge pole.
I only used the TiteBond to hold all the siding in place--no fasteners. We will see how long it holds. I think it will be indefinately, though a few may loosen up over time.
I use silicone to hold the shingles onto the roof, I have also used it for repairs on the siding of my 20 year old bridge which was glued with epoxy which seemed hold pretty well.

6 comments:

Ray Trainman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ray Trainman said...

Eric,

That's a pretty interesting use of clothespins!

Looking good overall. I'll be interested in hearing how your 'Titebond III only' approach works for you!

Station Master said...

I think your bridge is looking great! It is very authentic looking to me. Not many people are going to get to take a close look inside and appreciate all the detail but you will know it there.
Very nice.

SCGRR said...

Eric! Nice job.
P.S. I use clothes pins for clamps all the time. They work great and are rather inexpensive. You just need to be careful how close to the glue you get them, otherwise you have an additional member you really didn't want.

The Deere's said...

Workshop Hint--

I keep a roll of wax paper in my workshop just for thoughs tight glue jobs. Sometimes you have to sand away the wax paper, but that is better than chiseling off your clamping device.

Mrdeere

SCGRR said...

Plastic wrap also works. I had forgotten I do that too until you mentioned it Mr Deere.