~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Extreem Train's

Last night I enjoyed watching the TV show on the History Channel that Ray told us about.

It is hosted by a man from Maine and it is a very good show. Last night was all about the biggest longest fastest freight train in America today. The Burlington Northern Santa Fe. You have seen pictures of three massive BNSF 4400 HP diesels hauling a 7,000 foot long Double Stacked Container train! It is impressive. They have a web site and I will post the link to it. Last night you got to take the whole ride which covers 1,500 miles in 48 hours. The trip begins on an island off of Los Angeles and goes to the distribution house in Fort Worth, Texas where in just one hour the containers are unloaded to tractor trailer trucks that go out to the rest of the Country. Just for the fun of it, I will list a couple Trivia Questions that where on the show last night.

1. The trains travel across a huge ‘Lift Bridge’ to start their journey. There is a unique devise that connects the bridge track to the rails on either side. What is the name of that device?

2. A train that size could never travel through Los Angeles without causing major traffic problems and delays. What is the name of the ‘thing’ that solved the problem?

3. Ninety miles out from Los Angeles is Cajone Pass, elevation 3800 feet where one hundred trains per day go through there every day. The pass is being widened to expand capisity by 50 percent. What is the name of the Massive Tool that they are using to help do the job?

4. Last question is halfway through the trip they are in the Mojava Dessert with 130 degree heat and no place to break down. There is a giant facility there to maintain the trains and 26 locomotives go through every day. What is the name of this important maintenance shop?

Here is a link to the site for the TV series

7 comments:

SCGRR said...

John,
I watched that show back in October and I remember some of it. I remember the Lift bridge because they had to wait for a boat or boats, as boat traffic has the right-of-way, but I don't remember what the called the mechanism. The answer to # 2 is "The Alameda Corridor".
I believe the answer to #4 is the "North Platte, Nebraska" repair facility.
I remember the awesome rail machine but not what they called it.
God luck on the answers.

Station Master said...

Good going Ed. It was an interesting show. In fact there was good things on before and after it. Yes the Alamenda Corridor or 'trench' as it might be called goes underneath the city for at least 10 miles. It has earthquake proof bars that you can see through from the surface and look down as the train goes racing past. That is one way to beat the traffic.

Station Master said...

Union Pacific does have a large repair facility in North Platte, Nebraska. But, that was not the one I was thinking of, as far as the show last night.
thanks john

SCGRR said...

I probably have my shows mixed together as far as North Platte goes.. Also, what Maine Railroad does Matt Bown work for? I know, just wonder if you did!

Station Master said...

I just checked and it said he has been a conductor for the last 10 years with Pan Am Railways (formerly MEC). I have meant to watch before this and I am probably seeing re-runs. BTW, I do not find answers to half my own questions on the Internet, I think you had to watch the show. I like Matt Brown, he is good.

SCGRR said...

Maybe the repair facility you are looking or is the one at "Barstow"!

Station Master said...

SCGRR is correct again! He is the Extreme Train Champion! The final answers once again are:
Connelly Joint
Alameda Corridor
Hammer Hoe
Barstow Maintenance Shop
Congratulations Ed and I apologize for getting the Host name wrong. He is Matt Bown.