~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Sunday, January 4, 2009

Shingles...

I had a little time this afternoon to work on the bridge. I had found a blown down Cedar tree. I cut a section and brought it to my shop where I coverted some of it into shingles for the bridge. As the wood is still really wet, the sawdust is sticky and tended to clog the saw. with the lower wheel cover off, the chips fell free and I was able to make the batch I needed for the roof of the bridge. After a little counting and math, I figured I need about 1800 shingles.

I glued them on using clear silicone caulk. I used a 1/2" wide strip as a guide to get the shingles to line up in neat rows with a 1/2" exposure.

I did not quite get finished to clear the shop for paying jobs as I had hoped but I am close.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks Great! I was just having a little fun trying to guess the area you covered in square inches by taking 1800 shingles and 1/2 inch exposure. I figured it takes a block of 4 shingles to cover 1.5 square inches. Figuring 900 shingles per side would be 900/4 x 1.5 or approx 338sq inches per side. Just for the fun of it how close did I come?

Eric in Phippsburg said...

I must say I did not do the math...The bridge is 42" long nominally probably more like 44-45 at the roof. Each side of the roof is about 7" from bottom to top--45x(7+7)= 630 square inches or ther abouts.

These models are large. my other bridge is nominally 64" long

Station Master said...

Yes, that was close enough for me. I was just trying to get an idea of its overall size. Great Job!
John