~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Trains , Trains and more Trains

I got lucky this afternoon and resting with a cold, I stumbled onto a marathon of 'Extreme Trains' History Channel, (in fact running 2 or 3 more episodes right now). I was enjoying the Union Pacific 844 and they went up to the cab and watching the engineer blow the whistle at an up coming grade crossing. So here is an easy one (except I did not know for sure) What is the long and short pattern for the whistle?

Answer: -
Two long, one short, one long: Train is approaching a grade level crossing (i.e. a road crossing). This is a widely used safety signal used to warn motorists and is blown at every grade level crossing, except where local noise ordinances prohibit it. Known in railroad rulebooks as rule '14L'
SCGRR
was the first with the right answer! Plus the link he found has been added to the Blog.



5 comments:

SCGRR said...

How about, 2 long, a short and a long?

Station Master said...

SCGRR - You are the man! I felt as though I should have know that. When you play that in your mind, it sounds so natural. That is because the place we hear train whistles is usually at a graded crossing.
Good job!

SCGRR said...

John,
Check this. http://www.psrm.org/faqs/rulebook/signals.html#5.8.2

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ed, That is a very good reference and probably has a lot more in it then the 'old' rule book that mentions rule '14L'. That was what I was trying to find. I did find one but it had a lot of 'funny looking' marks embedded in the text, and I was trying to avoid that. i think I will just let it rest for a while.
Thank you.

Station Master said...

SCGRR - Thank you, I did set up the link you found on the Blog. Plus it will take you to the entire book of rules if your interested.