~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Sunday, February 22, 2009

Where the windows went...

Here is a photo of the "mill" I have been working on. It utilizes the windows I showed off a couple of weeks ago.

The building is basically a barn, but with more windows of course. It is built from 1/2" plywood with cedar strip battents glued on. An "L" on the back side will be a loading dock next to the tracks.

The "boiler shed" is a seperate peice which can be installed in any of several locations. I sawed the smoke stack from a 30" peice of pressure treated 4x4 using my band saw. I just left the natural saw-texture to simulate brick work. the paint is a mix of rust-o-leum mixed with linseed oil.

I had a plan to make standing seam roofing from 14" aluminum flashing but the "press" I made is not quite up to the task. any roofing suggestions? I am not up to the task of 4000+ wood shingles. I want a long lasting waterproof roof so I can leave the building out...it is too big to move around.

10 comments:

SCGRR said...

Very nice Eric. Nice looking buildings, both of them. I haven't been at the garden railroad building long enough to offer a roofing selection, but I sure understand the not wanting to Shingle.

Station Master said...

I love the look of the 'barn' particularly the Transom above the doorway. So realistic, reminds me of one we used to have. 4000 shingles, wow! Has anyone ever made a strip of shingles? I was imagining a block of wood with 50 or so groves cut across it about halfway through its thickness. Then (and I don't know if this is possible) but turned and very thin slices cut off it lengthwise. The result would be a 'strip' of 50 shingles all perfectly aligned and connected at the top?
(No, I do not imbibe)

SCGRR said...

John,
Don't get me wrong, but that would require a saw blade with an extremely fine kerf (very, very thin blade). The other thing would be you'd have to be OK with the fact that you would end up with very even rows of shingles, both horizontally and vertically. Sometimes mass production isn't the answer. Maybe someone knows a way similar to what you describe that would have a different look.
The thing is, you are always thinking, that's great.

SCGRR said...

Eric,
What did you use for the roofing material on the other building? (Looks like and Engine House?)
Couldn't you use the same thing?
Ed S.

The Deere's said...

I too wanted a different roof on a church we built a year ago. What I did was ripped out cedar clapboards on the band saw and put them on the roof. Then Brenda painted it black then later with a light coat of gray. The curf marks of the blade with the two colors looked like an older, weathered roof.

Use the search at the top of the page and type in church. You will see our roof there.

mrdeere

Anonymous said...

Ed, I went to look at the picture of your church and it was gone. The blog was there but the image had been removed. I just wondered if you had deleted it from your computer?

The Deere's said...

I just checked and it is there. It is the second blog item down after using the search function.

Anonymous said...

Yes, and beautiful picture they are! For some reason I could not see them this morning. thanks, John

Eric in Phippsburg said...

The power is finally back on ... Thanks for your roof suggestions and comments!

As I had no power and nothing else much could be done, I worked on some buildings.

I had a roll of copper "flashing" from Lowes, which is copper foil bonded to a plastic backer ... Unfortunately not self adhesive

I set up a little jig and rubbed a dull awl along a straight edge to make standing seam roofing.

Glued down with waterproof contact cement it looks good...like a new minted penny!

Station Master said...

That sounds pretty neat! Could you post a picture sometime?
Thanks John