~ Click on Items Name below to view:~ ~ ~ Back to top of Blog
Web Home Page ~ ~Dues Info ~ ~Donations



Monday, May 16, 2011

Dumb Question

This is to anyone who has an Aristo-Craft RS-3 diesel engine.  I bought one last year from a man in the NHGRS who lives in Mass.  It was new in the box.  But it seems to have a strange little quirk about it.  The seats, engineer and the controls in the cab face the "short" end.  Everybody tells me the "Long" end is what faces to the Front.  There is also the letter "F"  printed on the frame of that end.  When I look at some other Aristo-Craft RS-3 engines on Ebay they show the engineer facing the long end.   So my question is, Why do some of the Aristo-Craft RS-3 engines have the cab interior facing backwards?
That does not make any sense to me.  


RESPONSE:   I did ask Aristo-Craft the same question and I did get a response back very quickly in about 1.5 hrs.

John,
 
Thanks for choosing Aristo-Craft Trains.
 
Some railroads ran the RS3 short hood forward. Depending on your roadname, the cab may be oriented correctly ... even though the F is marked at the opposite end.
 
The cab can be oriented in either direction, as items were produced to match RR practice.
 
Regards,
TATE
The Aristo Train Engineer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, go to this web site. shows have to take cab apart and you can turn it around if you want.
http://largescaletrainshops.homestead.com/RS3internalFix.html

Dick

Station Master said...

Dick, Thank you! That is a very interesting article. But, I am afraid I may never get it all back together again without breaking something. I think I am happy running it the way it is. It is a really good running engine and I am happy to know some lines ran it the way mine (Canadian Pacific) is set up.
Thanks again, John